Saturday, June 10, 2023

Turning my world upside down.

     This all started with me doing something really stupid.  

 

    After two years of owning an aerobatic capable airplane I told my self that I could try a simple roll.  Well, that was my annual reminder that I can be a complete idiot.  I screwed up the maneuver and wound up doing an ugly split S with the airspeed indicator past redline as I recovered.  Turns out that you really should get proper instruction before flipping your airplane upside down.  

    Ok, I wasn't a complete idiot.  My airplane is certified for aerobatic maneuvers and I started out with plenty of altitude.  I had done rolls and loops before as part of an "upset recovery" course so I thought I remembered how to do a proper roll.  As it turned out, I had selected the maneuver, a right slow roll, that my plane was most challenged by.

    After I had reminded myself that I'm stupid, I resolved to get proper training.  For my birthday I signed myself up for some aerobatic lessons with a local flight school.  They used a Decathlon which is very similar to my Citabria.  I was excited to learn how to properly fly some basic aerobatics.  After we were done, Curt told me "well, go home and practice these in your plane."   I honestly hadn't really considered that, but he was right.  The next time I went up I was able to fly loops, rolls, hammerheads, and cuban 8s.    It was like I had found a whole airplane that I didn't know I had.


    A month or so later a chance encounter at a regional fly in with a member of the local IAC chapter and I was able to see the routine for the Primary (or beginner) category.  I remember thinking "I can do all of these one at a time, I just have to string them together."  The next few times I went up I practiced the primary sequence and eventually signed up for a three day aerobatic training camp nearby.  That was a fun and intense few days of flying where I was able to make significant improvements in my flying.



    When May rolled around it was time for my first aerobatic competition.  I quickly discovered that it is a lot of "hurry up and wait" but it was also very educational.  I was assigned to assist one of the judges when I wasn't flying and was able to see what they were looking for.  Two of my boys were able to come watch me fly and watch the other pilots wring their airplanes out.



    When the contest was over I had placed third in the Primary division.  Considering the pilots and airplanes I was competing against, I am very happy with this result.  I hope to continue competing and flying my airplane in this new and exciting area.



No comments:

Post a Comment