Saturday, August 11, 2018

Oshkosh

One of the biggest airshows in the world is held every year in Oshkosh Wisconsin.

The Experimental Aircraft Association "Airventure" fly in brings 10,000 airplanes and close to 250,000 people to a sleepy corner of the midwest for one week every year.  We came in 2014 (Andrew too, although we didn't know it at the time) and spent 3 days exploring all the different airplanes and exciting displays.

I knew this year that we wanted to come back, but this time enjoy the creature comforts of having our home on wheels.  North Texas was in the midst of another heat wave with triple digit temperatures forecast over the following two weeks.  It took us two days to drive to Chicago but when we got there we enjoyed the mild weather.





We spent a day exploring Chicago including Navy Pier, the Children's museum and a boat tour of the Chicago river.  The guide explained many of the iconic buildings and their architecture and some of the history of the city.  That evening we met my cousin Stephanie and enjoyed some deep dish Chicago pizza.











The next day we drove up to Manitowoc Wisconsin where one of my USMC friends lives.  We cleaned up the trailer, did laundry, and got ready to camp out without being hooked up to water or electricity.  The kids had to run out to the end of the pier and look out over  Lake Michigan.  The day was rainy and cool but I wasn't about to complain considering the temperatures in Texas.  We went to the concert in a park where Aylssa played her violin which has earned her a scholarship.  Then we visited with Ron and Tonya over dinner.







The next day we explored the Manitowoc maritime museum and the USS Cobia submarine from WW2 before driving over to Oshkosh.  Once there we got set up and ready to explore the airshow.




The first day we wound up walking all over and meeting many people and seeing all the different displays.  I spoke to the guys at the Vans Aircraft tent about ordering the first stage of a RV-7 kit. We also visited the warbird section and saw the B-29 Doc.










When I got back to the trailer, the solar panel I had been counting on to recharge my batteries wasn't up to the task, so I got to invest in a portable generator.



The second day we visited the kids section where the kids enjoyed the hands on building aircraft projects.  Clint and Patrick managed to get separated and I had to start alerting security before they showed up.






The last day Laura was bored and asked to stay behind at the camper while I took the boys to the helicopter section.  Then we walked all the way back to the warbird section which is Clint's favorite (mine too).








The next day we left Oshkosh for the Wisconsin Dells resort area.  I had wanted to give the kids a chance to play and enjoy some fun activities after being patient and well behaved at the airshow.   Laura wanted to do the zip line but I wasn't able to accompany her and Patrick so they did the ropes course.






The next day we went to the water park, but the water was SUPER COLD.  I honestly wished I had brought my wet suit.  We ended the day at dinner.



We were finally on our way home via Iowa.  We stopped for a lunch break in Clear Lake where Buddy Holly's airplane crashed.  I took a little detour and visited the crash site.




Sunday was a short drive to Kansas City where I got to visit with my cousins, Kim, Shana, and Tami as well as their mom, my Aunt Diana.  There were a lot of kids running around.



The next day was a long drive home but we finally made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment